When you buy a chair, you assume that it won’t collapse when you sit in it. That doesn’t seem like too much to ask, but 6,000 Pier 1 shoppers just discovered that even basic structural integrity is too much to hope for when it comes to the company’s desk chairs.
Details on Recalled Chairs
Five collections of Pier 1 upholstered desk chairs are involved in this recall. The legs of the chairs can break, which is obviously a negative if you’re hoping to sit in your $350 chair for any length of time. The company received 29 reports of breakage, including one that resulted in a back injury.
The desk chairs were all produced in China between April and September 2019. Here are the specific items, model numbers, and colors to look for as part of this recall:
- Model 3218728, color “Natural”
- Model 3595783, color “Turquoise”
- Model 4131834, color “Brown (Bomber)”
- Model 2855272, color “Ivory”
- Model 3787830, color “Natural”
- Model 3218730, Color “Natural (Flax)”
- Model 3600041, color “Navy Blue”
- Model 3606218, color “Gray”
- Model 4133680, color “Navy Blue (Velvet Ink)”
- Model 4133692, color “Light Green (Velvet Eucalyptus)”
- Model 4133727, color “Off White (Velvet Dove)”
- Model 3030877, color “Natural (Flax)”
- Model 3232879, color “Light Gray (Mist)”
- Model 3232894, color “Gray”
- Model 3232931, color “Turquoise”
- Model 3707849, color “Gray (Velvet Gray)”
What to Do Now
You can contact the retailer for a free repair kit, which includes free shipping. There is no need to return the chair to Pier 1, but it’s a good idea not to sit in your desk chair until you have a chance to repair the manufacturing fault.
For more about this recall, contact Pier 1 toll-free at 855-513-5140 from 8 a.m. to 7 p.m. CT, Saturday from 9 a.m. to 5 p.m. and Sunday from 10 a.m. to 6 p.m. or online at www.pier1.com and click on “Product Notes & Recalls” at the bottom of the page for more information.