There’s nothing quite like biting down on a delicious gob of raw cookie dough. Maybe it’s all the sugar and fat, or maybe it’s the lingering perception that you’re not “supposed” to eat the cookie dough before putting it into the oven.
But, if you’ve recently purchased and of Nestle’s Toll House cookie dough products, biting down on that spoonful of cookie dough could result in a visit to the emergency room, or worse. Nestle recently announced a recall for its Toll House brand cookie dough over possible plastic contamination that could be very dangerous for consumers.
The recall was implemented by Nestle USA after customers reported the presence of plastic in some cookie dough tubs. The company says it is unaware of any injuries relating to this issue right now. It has issued the recall out of an abundance of caution to prevent any injuries. The products were manufactured between August 1 and August 3 and were sold in retailers across the US.
The recall applies to Toll House Edible Cookie Dough tubs. The redundant name aside, these Toll House tubs of sweet dessert food could have shards of plastic from the manufacturer. These small shards might be easy to miss, so biting into any recalled dough could result in cuts to the gums, cheeks, tongue, or esophagus.
Nestle says the recalled products bear the following product codes: 22135554RR, 22145554RR, and 22155554RR. If you’ve purchased any Toll House tubs of cookie dough, double-check the packaging to see if it bears those product codes. If it does, it could have plastic shards inside, and you should discard it immediately for your safety.
If you’ve purchased any of these Toll House products, don’t hesitate to return them to the store you bought them from for a full refund. If you don’t have the receipt anymore, don’t panic – many stores will allow returns on recalled items even without receipts. In either case, you should discard the products even if you don’t have a way to return them.
Attempting to consume products with possible plastic contamination can result in cuts to the mouth or even damage to your internal organs. Small plastic shards might pass undetected into your esophagus, stomach, and intestines, where they could cause lacerations and internal bleeding. If that sounds extreme and alarming, it’s because it is! This isn’t a matter you should take lightly.