When making products for children, you would hope that manufacturers would be extra careful. Tragically, that is not always the case. From flying dolls to giant darts, here are some of the most notorious recalled children’s toys.
What could possibly go wrong with a functional oven toy? Easy-Bake Ovens have always struggled with safety issues.
That was obvious in 2007, when the company was forced to issue two consecutive recalls. Kids got their fingers stuck inside the toys. The light bulb that cooks the mini cakes caused serious burns. One little girl had to have part of her finger amputated because of the injury.
This toy from the 70s and 80s is well-known for its deadliness. The outdoor game’s “darts” are essentially just sharpened steel javelins. In theory, they are supposed to be thrown at a target on the ground. In practice, they ended up causing more than 6,000 serious injuries–and three deaths.
Lawn Darts were banned in 1988, but you can still sometimes find them at yard sales.
The problem with powerful, “rare earth” magnets is that they stick to each other–even through the walls of kids’ intestines after they eat them.
The toy marketed as Buckyballs was essentially just 125 small, spherical magnets that could be stacked and shaped in different ways. Unfortunately, more than 1,700 children ended up in the emergency room after eating the magnets. The product was recalled in 2009.
This product, marketed under multiple different names in different regions, involved little plastic beads that could be arranged into shapes and then stuck together with water. Similar to the ever-popular Perler beads, which must be fused with an iron, these toy crafting kits let kids be creative.
Unfortunately, they were also coated in a chemical compound similar to GHB (aka the “date rape” drug). The toys were recalled across North America, Australia, and Europe after several children fell into comas when they ingested the beads.
We’ve been waiting for real-life hoverboards ever since “Back to the Future II” came out. A company tried to cash in on that dream in 2015. The motorized scooter/skateboard hybrids looked pretty cool. Too bad they also had a tendency to catch on fire if left plugged in for too long.
Tragically, a three-year-old died in a house fire caused by the faulty hoverboard toy. The devices were recalled, but the damage was already done.
This toy added wings to a hard plastic doll that kids could then launch into the sky. What actually happened is that hundreds of children shot these pretty projectiles straight into their faces.
Manufacturer Galoob Toys finally pulled the dolls from the market in 2000, but not before reports of at least 150 eye injuries, broken teeth, and other facial injuries made the news.