A recall has been issued for frozen tuna sold in New England that was originally caught in Vietnam. The recall is being issued voluntarily by Northern Fisheries LTD of Rhode Island. Read on to find out how this recall may affect you.
Why Has Frozen Tuna Been Recalled?
According to Northern Fisheries LTD, “This recall is due to potentially elevated levels of histamine. Elevated levels of histamines can produce an allergic reaction called scombroid fish poisoning that may result in symptoms that can generally appear within minutes to several hours after eating the affected fish.”
The fish affected by this recall were primarily sold in Connecticut, Michigan, Minnesota, Rhode Island, and Wisconsin. However, it could have also been sold in areas that neighbor those states. Just because you don’t live in one of the affected states doesn’t mean you’re necessarily safe.
What Has Been Recalled?
The specific products recalled are all “Tuna King” brand and have a production date of 6/23/2019. They all share a production code, as well: 815838020638. If you’ve got any of the recalled products in your freezer, make sure you don’t consume any. Either toss it out or return it to the store you bought it from.
Ideally, if you kept your receipt, you can get a refund on the item. Some stores may even cut you some slack and offer you a refund or a swap-out even if you don’t have the receipt, but don’t count on it. In either case, make sure no one at your house consumes any of the recalled product.
What is Scombroid Poisoning?
Scombroid poisoning occurs when someone eats fish that contains far too many histamines. These are the chemicals that make your body suffer allergic reactions. As such, scombroid often looks like a bad allergic reaction: swelling, hives, itching, rash, and even vomiting or diarrhea.
Depending on the person, these symptoms can abate in a few hours with no treatment. In some people, however, the symptoms could be downright dangerous. In a severe case, scombroid can even be fatal. Don’t hesitate to rush someone to the hospital if they’re experiencing severe scombroid poisoning.